May 11, 2011

God Willin’ and the Creek Don’t Rise

***********************************************************************************

As you may have heard, the mighty Mississippi River is on a rampage, knocking out towns along the way. We here at the base of the River are preparing for the rising waters as much as possible. There are spillways opening, sandbags are being filled and towns evacuated.The levees are rising each day, making everyone around here a little nervous.

Today I went to see the levee to see for myself. Took the long way home to ride the levee path. I was not the only one; tons of people were out there taking pictures. Folks, this is the highest it has been since 1923.

Normally, we look down on the river from the levee. Not today. See for yourself.

***************************************************************

More photos here.

Comments

1. On May 12th, 2011 Janice in GA said:

Yikes, hope it doesn’t get much higher for y’all. That’s scary stuff. For some reason, flooding worries me more than fires.

2. On May 12th, 2011 Kara said:

Stay, river, stay. I hope it all stays put. It is so terrible what has been happening.

3. On May 13th, 2011 Brian said:

Wow. Where along the MRT was the photos taken? For the ~5 years that we lived there the highest the river ever got was up about half way.

Saw online that they may open the Bonnet Carre Spillway. Bummer for the NOMAMBO folks and the trails out there.

Stay dry!

4. On May 13th, 2011 elisa m said:

Brian-that was taken at the Fly, at Audubon. It has risen a few more inches since I took those. I’ll keep updating. Crazy, isn’t it?!

5. On May 13th, 2011 Brian said:

I thought that was the Fly, but I had NEVER thought the water would get that high!?!

6. On May 14th, 2011 inspiredcyclist said:

I hope the river settles down soon!