April 13, 2011

Big, scary commute!

Last week i tried my hand at commuting from Uptown, where I work, to the surburb where I am staying (for only 2 more weeks, phew!). Let’s just say it was interesting. The start was beautiful on the river path. Then came the crazy suburban super roads. Cars whizzing by, sidewalks ending abruptly, HUGE intersections…you get the drift.

Rather than tell you about it, I thought I would let the photos do the talking. Enjoy! (or feel sorry for me!)

*******************************************************************************************

I’m going to try again this week. I am DETERMINED! Today I also go on a ride along the levee path, which I am looking forward to.

Comments

1. On April 13th, 2011 lowrah said:

Sad face! Good luck with that commute, grrrl.

2. On April 13th, 2011 Kara said:

Eek! Be safe out there.

3. On April 13th, 2011 Julia said:

I am sure you have already done this but if not, try Google Maps satellite view, to see what other options there are. Even if one is a mile longer, it might be worth it.

4. On April 13th, 2011 carfreepvd said:

Pic 1 – lookin’ pretty good (although that H2 is an evil precursor of things to come).

Pic 2 – I wish I had this view on my commute everyday!

Pics 3-5 – Yuck!

Pic 6 – the inevitable sad face

Are there any smaller parallel roads you could use? I found that sort of route helpful last time I was riding in a suburb. Unfortunately, most suburbs are designed to have enclosed super-blocks where all roads feed to the major streets.

5. On April 14th, 2011 Mona said:

Try using transit on the scary part. Put your bike on the bus.

6. On April 14th, 2011 wle said:

oh
    at first i was like ‘bham has an “uptown” ‘ ?

but it is new orleans
    [and metairie i would guess is the suburb]

the sad face is so sad!!!!

what;s that monster bridge?

i didn;t think you crossed major water from metairie to NO..

just stay along the river
    or airline hwy

on the bright side [you know what i will say here]
    it;s all FLAT!
    unlike bham which has hills *and* bad roads
    not really much hotter than bham either

wle

7. On April 14th, 2011 Elisa said:

The big bridge goes over the interstate! there isn’t any water between us, but the 8 lane highway takes up a lot of space.
    At this point, I think I miss the hills! Trying it again tomorrow…will report back.

8. On April 15th, 2011 Brian said:

Maybe I’m just being optimistic, but there’s gotta be a way around this. When I lived in New Orleans, I lived in Uptown but would commute out to Elmwood for work by taking the Levee. It likes like that might be what you are doing as well (is that Broadway in the first shot? Huey P. Long in pic 2?) There’s a lot of ‘burbs out that way, so maybe there is some neighborhood routes?

I don’t know where in Metarie you are trying to get to, but have you considered taking Jeff Davis past Bayou St. John out to Lakeshore and then winding your way along the lakefront? I used to do a ride from Uptown out to the lake and back and that route wasn’t usually too heavily trafffic-ed. Things may have changed (been gone 7 years now), but I figured I throw it out there in case it might help.

Best of luck!