BikeSkirt » Blog Archive » Give Thanks
November 22, 2010

Give Thanks

I am so thankful for my bike.  I am thankful that I have a body that can move and get me around and that I can feel getting stronger each day. I am thankful that I have supportive friends who help me get around car-free in a city that is un-friendly.  I am thankful that my city seems to be getting friendlier each day. I am thankful for rides to urban farms and art galleries and restaurants and coffee shops.  I am thankful for Cyclocross season.

I am thankful for the amazing online biking community.  I am even more thankful for the real cycling community I have surrounding me, including Anna!  (and Bici, clearly).  I am thankful that riding my bike each day has made me love my city even more. I am thankful for cool mornings and slight breezes.  I am thankful for sunny winter days and shady summer ones.

I am thankful that moving away from a car centric life has made me more thoughtful about my life, my purchases and how I spend my time.  I am thankful that I no longer dress to impress, but dress to live.  I am thankful that my heels get less face time than my boots and my flats.

I am thankful.

What are you thankful for?

Comments

1. On November 23rd, 2010 Dan said:

I’m thankful, among other things, for my bike Neko. Elisa found that beautiful blue Schwinn and was kind enough to pass it along to me.

(I am also thankful for Brussels sprouts, bacon, a supportive family and wonderful friends)

2. On November 23rd, 2010 Dottie said:

Beautiful post. I’m thankful for Bike Skirt. :)

3. On November 24th, 2010 David said:

Hallelujah! Me too!
    I’m also grateful for my kids and that there are still many wonders to share with them.

Activists of all kinds who persist in challenging the illusions of a pretty crazy world

Home made Pizza – because sometimes… There’s nothing quite like it!
    Sweet, cool, fresh drinking water straight from a creek after walking/riding a long way on a hot day (It’s becoming a rare commoddity but there are still places where you can find it!)

The wastefullness of a throwaway, consumer society, without which I wouldn’t have had the pleasure of riding some fantastic bikes over the years.

My beach cruiser that I scrounged from the tip about 5 years ago… It’s a beauty!

4. On November 24th, 2010 John Romeo Alpha said:

Legs to make my pedals go round, the wind and the sunshine, the music of the chain on the cogs and chain ring, and the freedom to ride anywhere.

5. On November 29th, 2010 Anna said:

I’m thankful for you Elisa!!! And all our lovely friends in Birmingham.

6. On December 14th, 2010 MG said:

Hi, Bike Skirt!

I know I’m late to this post, but I love your comment:

“I am thankful that moving away from a car centric life has made me more thoughtful about my life, my purchases and how I spend my time. I am thankful that I no longer dress to impress, but dress to live. ”

I have found this happening to me as well, particularly the purchasing aspect. It’s such a weird feeling and I attribute a lot of it to bicycle touring. I find myself asking things like, if I can live on 8 pieces of clothing when I’m out bike touring, then how much stuff do I really need? Thanks for the post!

1. Thanksgiving » Cyclelicious