November 8, 2010

A new member of the family

************************************************************************************

Tonight I got a new (used) bike!  Freddy Mercury has been showing his age and, let’s face it, was never meant for heavy duty commuting.  He is a fancy Italian bike who was meant to be pampered and raced and kept away from heavy U-locks and parking meters and sleeting days and rear racks.  Unfortunately, all of these things have been thrust upon him for the last year and a half.  This has caused endless paint chips, rust spots, dinged components, and more.

I am always on the lookout for a new ride, but with the financial situation, I am never really looking.  Yesterday I got an email from our friend, The Bike Guy, with an offer I couldn’t refuse.  A Trek 2000 with Dura ace components and aluminum frame all for an extremely reasonable price.  I looked at the budget, worked out a payment plan and made plans to test ride.  On the way over, my wonderful Abuelita called and said they wanted to give me my Christmas present early…and it happened to be exactly what this bike cost!

It was meant to be.  The bike isn’t pretty, but will be a great commuter bike.  Changing to some better wheels that I have laying around and putting my Brooks saddle on will be all he (or she) needs.

Now I just need to figure out a good name.  Suggestions, dear Bike Skirt readers?

Comments

1. On November 8th, 2010 KatieBLV said:

Bucephalus! Alexander the Great’s horse.

2. On November 8th, 2010 PaddyAnne said:

“Raider” for some reason, this name comes to mind. That used to be a name of one of my horses, bright red chestnut with a white blaze and socks.

or “Traveller” name of Robert E Lee’s grey horse.

Have fun choosing a name! I currently have a Sally, a Robbie and a Myles.

3. On November 9th, 2010 Dottie said:

Congrats! Hm, I’m not good with names. Maybe something like Sally (Sal). That’s sorta uni-sex but with a strong female tilt :)

4. On November 9th, 2010 wle said:

i’d also look into compact crank or triple for bham hills
    those gears are for flat ground, or giant quads :)

also the “in the air” brake cable routing, i;d redo that to make cables go along the bars
    though maybe those levers can;t do that
    and if they are DA, you don;t want to change them

clipless pedals, maybe

but on the plus side – *downtube shifters*
    my main bike has them and it;s about the same age

it looks great

wle

5. On November 9th, 2010 Cyclin' Missy said:

Oooo, exciting! Congratulations!

I would name this bike “Phoenix”. The beautiful paint job makes it look like the bike is rising out of the flames and ready to fly.

6. On November 14th, 2010 Kara said:

Oh, congrats on your new addition! I love the orange accents.

What about Clementine?