BikeSkirt » Blog Archive » It’s been too long and I’m lost without you
October 12, 2010

It’s been too long and I’m lost without you

It has now been over 3 weeks since I have been on a bike.  Friends, I am not doing well.

Seriously.  I count on my cycling for so many things- to see the world, feel the breeze, connect with my city.  Most importantly (right now, at least), it keeps my anxiety and OCD under control.  Yes, I have pretty severe OCD and mild anxiety.  The details aren’t necessary (no, I don’t wash my hands or lock doors if you are wondering), but since I have been riding it has all been handled.

Now I am worrying all the time and frankly, can be kind of a mess lately.  My emotions are all over the place and I am feeling antsy. The first week I did too much and now have to use a crutch and go see a specialist because it is not healing.  Boo.

It is incredible how much you count on the cardio and release of cycling when you use it for transportation reasons.  I don’t go on training rides or think “I am going to work out on the bike today”, I just go.

Boy oh boy, do I want to just go these days.

Because I have to do something to keep me occupied, besides watching too much Netflix and working 60 hours a week, I have started crafting a TON more.  I even started a crafty blog, Staying just ahead of the madness! Check it out if you are so inclined. If you like crafty cyclists, also check out Knitting Lemonade, a new friend.

Thanks for the well wishes and I hope to see you on the roads soon.

Comments

1. On October 12th, 2010 Kara said:

Well, I am sure you bike misses you as much as you miss it. How much longer do you have to go without riding?

A new craft blog?! Oh fun! Heading over now.

2. On October 12th, 2010 meligrosa said:

stay strong girl, soon you will be back :D
    healthy legs okay first –many hugs!? xxo.meli

3. On October 12th, 2010 Liz(zle) said:

oh goodness – i feel your pain. i am a runner/cyclist/craft fiend who recently found myself totally out of commission for 2 months because of a bad case of the hiccups. (not to mention the numerous crappy injuries i’ve had before). you will get through this!! i’m glad you’ve got the crafting to fall back on. :-) a similar injury is how i finally came to understand knitting which has been a sanity saver ever since!!!!!!!!!!!

4. On October 12th, 2010 michelle - the urban hausfrau said:

Dude!
    I started reading your blog at the time of your injury. I figured you were healed for the race. I’m so sorry your leg isn’t healing as fast. Healing, especially bones, can make you all wacked out emotionally.
    I too have OCD (also not the washing hands/locks). I’ve noticed the same thing about biking and anxiety. What an amazing and unexpected side effect (:
    Can you ride tandem? I don’t know what a hassle that boot would be but maybe. Maybe tandem you can take the pedal off that side and still work the left side.
    If nothing else, maybe that cute scooter guy can come entertain you (:
    cheers girl!
    off to read your new craf-t blog.

5. On October 12th, 2010 Kymba said:

OMG me too! {“Moo!” right?}
    please hang in there, i’m telling myself to remember the pluses of the situation {twilight zone vacation} but also that there is an end-point.
    i was riding my bike home from work and a guy on a skateboard tried to stop short at an intersection {right of way was mine and a car’s} but he slipped and fell and shot the board right into my path. i’ve got dislocated foot bones, a surgery behind me and one upcoming, and a Freaking Comedy Central Cartoon Cast. not kidding, i’ve got an 8 pound plaster goon shoe on.
    i miss my exercise, i was getting 60 minutes of free cardio broken into absolutely ideal sessions; 30 mins to wake up and get to work, 30 mins of mostly downhill therapy to clear my head on the way home. i desperately miss my bike, miss going out, and feel i’m missing out on the change of season from summer to fall.
    BUT: my upper body strength is dramatically increased, i’m a NINJA with my walker, i can get up at 8AM instead of 6:30, and people keep helping me with things and being very gracious when i grin and say “Thanks, but I can get it, it’s good for me.” my time is my own, i have time for reading and beading!
    i’m no pollyanna so i won’t say count your blessings {are you KIDDING, we’re in CASTS} but i encourage you to shrug and declare that the worst is “meh” at most, and being wounded is a process that will eventually end.
    Hang in there!

6. On October 12th, 2010 Dottie said:

Sorry to hear about this stressful time and that the leg is taking long to hear. I must say, it’s very interesting to learn about the helpful affect cycling has on your OCD. Riding a bike cures so many ills.

I’m heading over to your crafting blog now. Oooh, Tumblr – welcome, I’m now following you :) I should not be surprised that you’re also a crafty grrrl.

7. On October 12th, 2010 Sigrid said:

crafty bikers are the best kind…
    and bicycles are the best therapists!

8. On October 13th, 2010 Paul said:

I’ve seen a one legged moutainbiker before– so you might lower your saddle, find a flat empty lot, and get some careful diversion! Heal fast. I enjoy reading the bike stories!