BikeSkirt » Blog Archive » Doldrums
March 12, 2010

Doldrums

Confession: I am sick of riding my bike.  I don’t know if it is because I have to ride it, and I just got through riding in the coldest winter on record for Birmingham, if it is laziness, or if my ass is just tired. The rain has been unrelenting this week and am sick of arriving wet, sweaty and hot, while freezing.

A rainy day at Jones Valley Urban Farm

All I know is that right now I would rather walk than ride to get places.

However, when I have a chance for a fun ride on the weekends, I jump at it.

Anyone else experiencing this?

Comments

1. On March 12th, 2010 Braxton said:

I’ve found my motorcycle more welcoming for work commuting lately. I take my bicycles for rides in the evening. And I do think the weather is largely the cause of our unusual moods.

2. On March 12th, 2010 Jenn said:

I’m with you 100%. The bike is my only mode of transportation right now and I find myself asking hubby to stop at the grocery on the way home instead of riding the 4km round trip myself. But when we got a 50+ degree day a few weeks ago, I road for hours! We’re back to snow this week…..grooooaaannnn….

3. On March 12th, 2010 Arcanum said:

We’ve just started “spring” here. (“Here” being “Rochester NY” and “spring” being “highs consistently above 40 and snow mostly gone from the MUPs”.) As a result I’m experiencing the opposite: finally having fun riding instead of just slogging through the winter.

It helps that just a week ago I upgraded from a slow, heavy, 7-speed hi-ten steel bike to a shiny new 2010 Kona Dr. Dew. :)

Not much advice I can give, except maybe find a way to stay drier in the rain, and try to find a way to do a fun ride before or after work instead of just on the weekends. That latter will get easier after the time switch Sunday.

4. On March 12th, 2010 Bill Smith said:

This is the year I decided to commute to work every day, starting back in September, and it has been the coldest, wettest, snowiest, Winter that I can remember. After this one, the rest of them should be easy!

5. On March 13th, 2010 Hayley said:

Oh, yes! For me it’s often the dread piece more than anythign else… I’ll wake up and over my first cup of coffee think about how I can have more time to putter in the shower or whatnot if I drive that day instead of ride… I rarely regret the choice to ride, but when it’s cold out I don’t wake up thrilled about the prospect of hopping on my bike.

6. On March 14th, 2010 Patrick said:

Yeah, with this weather I’ve been taking the bus rather than riding. Thankfully MARTA is real good transit, for now.

7. On March 14th, 2010 Simeon Orme said:

I hope the weather will improve in the States for you but you may enjoy looking at 2010 photo gallery of the South Lakes Group at this link http://www.southlakesgroup.org.uk/2010photogallery/index.html We are local group of the Rough-Stuff Fellowship which is off-road cycle touring in the UK, we have rides each weekend where we follow quite lanes and off-road tracks into the hills around the South Lakes, the Yorkshire Dales and the Bowland Hills. With regards to weather in the UK we had about two weeks of dry weather but still abit of snow on mountain tops in the Lake District National Park.

8. On March 15th, 2010 Grinner said:

Elisa:

When i was riding to and from work in NYC, March was always a hard month. The rains were always cold, but i would always be over-dressed for riding, so, as you describe, i’d be hot and sweaty until i stopped, at which time i’d have the chills.

I’m afraid that i’m not in that state this year. The snow is now gone from the roads in my part of Montana (until the next snow storm), so i’m finding myself looking at Svetlana (my fixie) with an unwholesome desire. Oh, those svelte tires, after these months of chains and studs! I’m hearing the siren call of the LBS, too, promising that Karinisa (my road bike) will forgive the crash with the car if only i replace her drive-train.

Take heart, Elisa: soon spring will arrive in force, and the dues paid in winter will return your rewards. Your hills will flatten before you (if only because you won’t be carrying as much clothing); the winds will be at your back; and the sweet blossoms will will you with power and peace.

9. On March 15th, 2010 Ghost Rider said:

For me, it’s not the bike I get sick of, but the route…whenever my ride seems like a drudge, I just change up the route — adding a mile here and there, taking a different direction or going roundabout through an area I haven’t been through in a while. That makes everything seem fresh again.

And if I DID get sick of the bike, well then I’d be screwed…because a bike is much cheaper than a psychiatrist!