February 5, 2010

The Buena Vista is mine!

By Anna | 12 Comments »

You may remember that back in September I decided to purchase a Soma Buena Vista Mixte.  Well it took a little longer than I anticipated, but I finally bit the bullet and bought the frame.  First impression?  It’s beautiful.  Still have a long way to go, though.  Brooks Saddle, internal hub, mustache bars, deep v rims…siiiiiiigh.

Frames are very difficult to photograph, it turns out!

Comments

1. On February 5th, 2010 Joey said:

They are so beautiful, I can’t wait to see yours when it’s finished. I’m saving my pennies for a Double Cross DC, it should be done just in time for summer. BTW I love the blog/website.

2. On February 5th, 2010 wle said:

is there some way in the build process, to install a little skirt on it, somewhere??

wle.

3. On February 5th, 2010 Brian said:

deep v’s? to each their own, but a nice set of 36H box style rims would compliment the throwback style, and be plenty bomber for regular riding.

4. On February 5th, 2010 Elisa said:

soooo pretty. sigh.

5. On February 5th, 2010 Dottie said:

Excitement! I look forward to seeing the finished product. Your plan sounds awesome.

6. On February 5th, 2010 dreamlet said:

Oh lovely! Can’t wait to see how you build it up!

7. On February 5th, 2010 Steve A said:

Internal hub? I’ve got an internal hub bike, but the Buena Vista looks a bit sprightlier than that, particularly for the South where the grit is lighter and snow is rare.

8. On February 7th, 2010 meligrosa said:

yay another mixte!! we are a big awesome family :D

9. On February 7th, 2010 Ghost Rider said:

That’s lovely…looking forward to the complete build!

IGH makes a lot of sense even if it isn’t snowy or terribly gritty where you live — and I second Brian’s comment about box-section rims. I suppose that depends, of course, on what color Deep Vs you’re lookin’ at…any hints?

10. On February 8th, 2010 culturperc said:

wow, beauteous frame. amazing lug work. can’t wait to see it finished.

11. On February 10th, 2010 Anna said:

@Brian & Ghost Rider I’m not completely committed to the deep v’s, I might in the end decide to go for something simpler as you suggest. However, I’m a girl and I want it to be pretty! A black, gold, and white bike demands some of the parts to be color coordinated. A photo on the soma site shows the frame built with a wood grain design on deep v’s that just kills me…

@Steve A since this is my commuter bike I wanted something that would protect my clothes as much as possible. An internal hub accomplishes that more so than an external gearing, but I’m also considering just making it single speed.

The design is still very much so up in the air, so all your suggestions are greatly appreciated!

12. On February 11th, 2010 David said:

Beautiful! It looks so clean and smooth!

1. BikeSkirt » Blog Archive » Bike Build Update