BikeSkirt » Blog Archive » Moving (car free)
February 4, 2010

Moving (car free)

Car free has proven to have more challenges than I anticipated (work laptop in the rain?, toilet paper shopping?), and this is another.  I am moving this weekend (or soon anyway) and am doing so car free.  My place is going to be closer to bici, both jobs and I will have plenty of space for a home office and bikes!

Normally I borrow a truck for all the big stuff and then use my car to take boxes (I move a lot…hopefully that will change!), but with no car I am dependent on friends.  So far, I have had 3 offer to help me and lend me a car. The key to living successfully in Birmingham without a car is to have fantastic friends! and boy howdy, do I.  (yes, I just said “boy howdy”)

I will be documenting all of my moving adventures and posting them here. I am also going to be taking small trips on the bike with my bag packed.  I have until the end of the month to be out of my old place, so luckily I have a bit of time to work with.

Anyone have any tips?

*I know I could use a u-haul, but am trying not to have to go that route

Comments

1. On February 4th, 2010 Steve A said:

I’ll look forward to your reports. Take good pictures!

2. On February 5th, 2010 2whls3spds said:

You could try to do a Portland style bike move But I don’t know if there are that many cyclists and trailers available in the Birmingham area.

Aaron

3. On February 5th, 2010 Krista said:
  4. On February 5th, 2010 Val said:

Indeed, as Aaron says, if you just google “bike move”, you will find may examples of how it’s done. Trailers seem like the best option for you – I haven’t seen too many cargo bikes in your posts. If no one has a Bikes at Work trailer, I’ll bet that there are some homemade ones around. Put the word out!

5. On February 5th, 2010 Dottie said:

Cool. Good friends are definitely an asset :) Good luck with everything.

6. On February 9th, 2010 John Romeo Alpha said:

I read your post and then just saw this on the Tempe Bicycle Action Group site. The furniture-moving pictures are incredible.

7. On February 13th, 2010 Julien said:

We’re a Montreal-based bike moving company, and we would recommend Bikes At Work trailers anytime. We did hundreds of small movings with those trailers! Here are some pictures : http://www.demenagementmyette.ca/photos/

1. Simple Living News Update