BikeSkirt » Blog Archive » Embrocation trial two
January 6, 2010

Embrocation trial two

By Anna | 8 Comments »

It’s been a while since I’ve ridden just to ride, so Sam and I decided to head to Oak Mountain a few weekends ago to enjoy our bikes and have another go with embrocation.  This time we were equipped with Northwest Knee Warmers‘ medium strength embrocation.

But first, we had breakfast. Gotta have them grits ya’ll! Stick to your ribs and all that!

Fuel

V. Richards Market

Once we were fueled we headed out to the park and sheen’d ourselves on up.  I liked the way the Northwest embrocation smelled – less edible than the Mad Alchemy…more medicinal, but in a comforting sort of way.  It was a similar color and consistency and pretty easy to put on.

The temperature was about 40 F – I was pretty cold, but once we started riding it really wasn’t bad.

Sam

Sam is much more pro that I am, but he was kind enough to ride slow for me.

Anna's legs

Roll ‘em up!

You might notice that I am sporting some new clipless shoes.  Cross season destroyed my converse and made me realize that there are benefits to having cycling specific shoes.  At this point I just have the shoes; I haven’t started using clipless pedals yet.  Strange, I know.  I’m having to ease myself into it.  I’m also having to eat crow since I gave Elisa such hell whenever she went clipless. I deserve it.

Anyway, after we embrocated, we hopped on the bikes and started to ride.  I could notice a difference immediately – no leg discomfort/muscle sluggishness at the first incline!  It was like I had already been riding and had warmed up, even though I hadn’t.  With my first embrocation experience I had expected my legs to be nice and warm and didn’t really think about the state of my muscles.  And who can really think that clearly when you’re doing a cross race?! This time I was more conscious of what the actual point was, and it came through for me most excellently.  Sam was equally pleased.

Unfortunately my power grip bolt broke off shortly after we started, so Sam had to ride back to get the necessary equipment for fixing (i.e. electrical tape).  I think he enjoyed it though because he was able to ride fast and get some energy out!

Power Grip Fail

Bummer

After the power grip was re-attached we rode the remaining distance (about 17 miles total – nothing crazy), legs felt good, and I thoroughly enjoyed riding past the…interesting…Christmas decorations.

Santa loves fire

Good ride! Thanks embrocation! I’ll now say that I like you!

Comments

1. On January 6th, 2010 Cyclin' Missy said:

Congrats on beginning the process of going clipless! I was very reluctant to try it myself, but I quickly found clipless to make so many aspects of riding easier and stronger. I think you’ll end up loving it!

And once you start using the pedals, remember that everyone falls over a couple times. ;)

2. On January 6th, 2010 Steve A said:

If you’re nervous about clipless, go to a local gym and practice on their stationary bike until it becomes second nature. I’m guessing it’ll take an hour or so, with no possibility of falling over at all unless there’s a major earthquake which isn’t likely in your town.

Riding locally, I prefer toe clips. Riding further afield, I go clipless.

3. On January 6th, 2010 John Romeo Alpha said:

I put clipless on all my bikes years ago. Then recently decided to try out platforms on my commuter, mainly so I didn’t have to carry a second pair of shoes (or remember to keep one at work). These are ATB platforms that have the claw-like edges to give some traction. I had forgotten how it felt to ride clipless-less! For short trips, or my short commute, I prefer it now. Maybe it’s still the novelty, but my commute is more about relaxation than pace or distance, and the free feeling of simple platforms fits in with that, I think.

4. On January 6th, 2010 Elisam said:

How’s that crow taste?

5. On January 7th, 2010 welshcyclist said:

Hi girls,

What’s a powergrip ?

6. On January 7th, 2010 Anna said:

@ Welsh Cyclist: power grips are like cages on your pedals (in that you wear any kind of shoe), but they’re just a single strap that goes over the top of your foot. It is said that they are more similar to clipless because you have to maneuver your foot in sideways and then straighten it, which then “locks” your foot in by tightening the fabric.
    Pretty handy!

7. On January 7th, 2010 wle said:

ha ha – “clipless-less”

it;s even funnier when you realize that ‘clipless’ basically means ‘clipped’ anyway

the only thing worse than bike jargon is music jargon

wle.

8. On January 9th, 2010 Tejvan Pettinger said:

clipless is great so long as you don’t mind walking around with funny blocks on your feet (unless you get spd)