BikeSkirt » Blog Archive » Caught in the rain
December 30, 2009

Caught in the rain

By Anna | 7 Comments »

I am very dilligent with my weather checking.  First thing after I wake up – grab my phone and dial up the weather channel’s daily forecast.  I don’t have any rain gear other than a waterproof jacket, so if there’s even an inkling of rain I walk to work.  It gives me a chance to wear my pencil skirts.

This morning I noticed a chance of rain in the afternoon.  It was around 30% for most of my work day, so not too horrid.  Regardless, I would normally have walked, but I had a lunch meeting across town so I had to risk it and ride.

I noticed the rain while I was in the middle of enjoying my vegetable panini from Urban Standard (yum).  I rudely interruped my lunchmate in the mist of his sentence with an exclamation of shagrin.  Alas there was nothing to be done; I slowly bundled myself up to go out and face the precipitation.

wet

I got a camera for Christmas, woohoo!

By the way, I wore a dress today.  I forgot to wipe off the seat.  That was shocking.

You know, I really actually love riding in the rain.  It’s incredibly exhilerating.  I just wished that I wasn’t wearing suede shoes.  And a dress.

Comments

1. On December 30th, 2009 Dottie said:

Tights are perfect for the rain – at least they dry quickly.

Hot shoes!

2. On December 31st, 2009 Rob Sayers said:

I didn’t bother checking the weather this morning as I caught a ride to the office. Completely forgot I was picking up my bike from the LBS on my way home… lots of rain.

Received a cold wet reminder to buy fenders.

3. On December 31st, 2009 Ostrich said:

I just got a little radio with weatherband:

It’s the best thing for instant forecast and conditions for your area, straight from NOAA. And if you see dark clouds, tune in to see if any watches or warnings are present.

It’s also AM/FM, a flashlight and cell phone charger. Solar, battery and hand crank powered to boot, so you will never get stuck without a light or dead phone again.

Recommended.

Cheers,
    Ostrich

4. On December 31st, 2009 Ghost Rider said:

Those are GREAT shoes, Anna. Wow!

5. On January 4th, 2010 ksteinhoff said:

At least you probably don’t look like a big orange pumpkin going down the road.

6. On January 6th, 2010 Brittanie said:

Newby reader, first time commenter. I am just getting into bike commuting for average types (i.e. I don’t want to wear a ton of spandex just to ride to work/school/grocery store). Two questions:

Does this bike have a straight crossbar or a swoop? If straight, do you ever have trouble navigating that with a skirt on?

2. What do you call those loops on your pedals? I have toe clip thingies but I’d like to wear fabulous shoes without crushing the toes and without my feet slipping all around.

Thanks!

7. On January 7th, 2010 Anna said:

Thanks everyone for the shoe love : )

@ Brittanie:

My bike is a road racing bike and has a straight crossbar/top tube. Dress wearing while riding is a little nuanced.
    Overall, the shorter the better. The negative of short is that you flash everyone, but you just have to embrace it! The longer the dress, the more likely it is to get eaten by your back brakes or wheel. Fenders & skirt guards help, but I don’t have those and as of now I avoid long/flowy things (as you can see by the length of my dress in the above picture). Pencil skirts don’t work – I can’t even get on my bike.

The straps on my pedals are called Power Grips. They’re great! You can check them out & order here: http://powergrips.mrpbike.com/

Welcome to the commuting world; you’re going to love it!!