October 1, 2009

Milwaukee’s best please (and Chi-town)

In just a few days I will packing up for a trip to Milwaukee and Chicago.  I have family in Mil., and will be staying with Dottie of Let’s Go Ride a Bike fame in Chicago.

My question for you:  What should I see?  Especially in Milwaukee, as I am sure Dottie is well in the know in Chicago; stay tuned for details about a possible cocktail party ride Oct 10!.  Bike shops, trails, coffee shops, restaurants, pubs etc. Of course I will be keeping an online journal of this for everyone to read, so I want to make it interesting.  I would also love to visit a bike coop or collective to see how things are run in other places.  A few cyclists from Huntsville, AL will be in Chicago that weekend as well, so it will be one fun meet up (we live 1 hour apart and have never met in person…such is life when neither of you use a car much!)

I will be there Oct 4-14, email me if you want to meet for coffee, beer, bike ride, etc (although I reserve the right to turn you down if you seem creepy!). elisa@bikeskirt.com.  I think I have a bike for both places, but the one in Milwaukee is a bit dodgy, so anyone with the hookup on a bike for a TALL person to borrow, let me know.  Think 58-60cm.

I am looking forward to cooler weather (tights! boots! hats!) and seeing how other folks bike and live. Some things on the agenda:

Copenhagen Cyclery in Chicago
Dutch bike Company in Chicago
**I have heard about a great neighborhood revitalization project in Chicago…does anyone have any details on that?  I can’t remember the name, but they are using transit and urban development to revitalize a blighted area to great success…**

Ben’s Cycle in Milwaukee
Milwaukee Bike Collective
Mocha Coffee Bistro

So Milwaukee and Chicago readers, show me what you got.

Comments

1. On October 2nd, 2009 ad said:

Definitely check out the east side of Milwaukee, and hit up Comet (www.thecometcafe.com) for breakfast and great bloody marys.

2. On October 5th, 2009 Cyclin' Missy said:

Elisa – It looks like we might get to meet this weekend in Chicago when you’re visiting with Dottie. I’m so excited to meet some fellow women cycling bloggers!

3. On October 5th, 2009 Rita said:

Swing through Benno’s bar & grille near the Wisconsin state fair grounds. It’s a biker bar. A mountain biker bar.

If you are in need for a long scenic ride, the rails-to-trails network is well developed. Madison is probably more friendly to bikers-on-the-street then Milwaukee, though.

4. On October 5th, 2009 Dave Reid said:

Well for coffee you should hit Alterra on the lake, and you can either ride on the lakefront or up just up the hill from the lake on the Oak Leaf trail…. And I’d suggest hitting Taylor’s in East Town for cocktails.

5. On October 5th, 2009 Elisa said:

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. This is great! I have already made plans to eat at The Comet, and will be hitting Alterra tomorrow.
    Anyone have any bike shops I need to hit?

6. On October 5th, 2009 Dave Reid said:

Elisa,
    I’ve never been to Ben’s but I’ve heard it is quite the shop. The East Side has Crank Daddy’s and Cory the Bike Fixer. Up in Shorewood (just north of MKE), is Rainbow, I actually bought my Trek there this summer… It was the best price around.

7. On October 6th, 2009 Ghost Rider said:

Don’t forget Lickton’s out in Oak Park — they’ve been in business since 1929 and are often a “go to” for the good stuff you can’t find anywhere else.

8. On October 7th, 2009 karen said:

You simply must not leave Chicago without breakfast at Ann Sather on Belmont Ave. The best cinnamon rolls you will ever eat. It would be a shame to leave without a box of them under your arm. Great place for people watching too.

Before my husband and I got married, he took me on a surprise date to Chicago and we had brunch at Bristo 101. We ate an amazing 4 or 5 course brunch, which included a giant bulb with little toasts. We had cheese cake and chocolate cake a la mode for dessert. Delicious.

Totally, not food or bike related . . . but I love the aquarium over looking Lake Michigan. Love it everytime.

Have a great time.