September 19, 2009

Not suitable for…anywhere

DSC_0216

I was working on this post, when I came across Cyclicious‘ post about the very same thing!  HOLEY JEANS!  I wear the ass out of all my jeans if I wear them to ride.  Another reason that I mainly ride in skirts.

I know, I know…stop riding in jeans.  But sometimes I want to wear jeans places and my only way to get there is via bike.  I have seen a bit of help for men out there, but can’t find anything for the ladies.  Swrve has some nice jeans for the fellas, but only offer knickers for us ladies.  Another company, this one in Japan, also offers mens cycling jeans.

All I want is a pair of jeans that will not rip in the ass area.  Is this too much to ask?  I don’t even need any padding (although maybe a thin bit of fabric would be nice…oh and no center seams…I digress).  The only pair that has not ripped are an old as dirt pair of stretch jeans from Gap.  I am afraid to pay a lot of money for jeans these days, as they all end up going the way of the ass-holes.

DSC_0218

Anyone have any advice?  I really want to ride in normal clothes and not constantly have to change or wear the same 5 skirts, but this is getting ridiculous.  Oh, and it is not just the inexpensive jeans.  The ones with the really bad holes…yeah, they cost $200+ dollars (don’t judge-I used to work in fashion!).  Even a good bike/jean hack to reinforce the butt would be helpful.  I am desperate! I look too good in jeans to give them up forever.

yes, I tried to patch $230 jeans with Burlap...to no avail!

yes, I tried to patch $230 jeans with Burlap...to no avail!

Help a sister out! Clothing and cycling companies out there-it is time for a ladies cycling jean.  We will not walk around with holes in our jeans forever!!!

This is part 1 of my “How in the hell to ride and look good in Birmingham” series.  It is more challenging than you think…

Bike Love!

Comments

1. On September 19th, 2009 dukiebiddle said:

This isn’t a solution really, but I rip up my really old jeans to make ass/crotch patches for my only kind of old jeans. Somehow denim patches under denim has a slight dignity advantage over other materials when covering holes on your ass… at least to me.

2. On September 20th, 2009 meligrosa said:

wowza, crazy!!
    I guess tights ans stocking have kept up with me, even thought they seem more ‘delicate’ than their cotton jean-counterparts.

I have a pair of knickers that are not ‘cycling’ marketed per se and have always referred my friends with a budget (sometimes ‘bike’ stuff is so pricey) to climbing pants. They have tough material options, breathe well and come with a hexagon-ish pattern in the leg area, if that mkes any sense. The pair I have, and wear under dresses and skirts often is made by Blurr. You might find more ‘climbing’ pants in sporting stores.

I forgot that jeans do that. I personally haven’t worn them in years, if you asked me to run in my house and change to jeans, I wouldn’t know where to find a pair….

3. On September 20th, 2009 Bone said:

I haven’t tried these myself, but I imagine jeans with a gusseted crotch would help with the center-seam problem. Not sure about the holey-butt problem.

This company makes girl jeans with a gusset in them. They might work?

4. On September 20th, 2009 Ghost Rider said:

I always rip my ass…but not in my jeans; rather, those center seams do a number on my body!

I wear jeans to work on weekends and to events from time to time…if I have to go far I’ll wear “liner shorts” underneath them to keep the seams away from delicate bits.

5. On September 20th, 2009 mamavee said:

yup. My very good pair of jeans has a nice hole right in the crotch. I am trying to ignore it since you can’t see it unless one is looking at my crotch…
    I did buy a new pair of jeans and well, those were $$ so I am a tad bit worried as well. I wonder what the women of copenhagen do! prolly replace their jeans whenever they need to ;-/

6. On September 20th, 2009 Logan said:

Elisa, what type of saddle do you ride on? I used to have this problem with plastic saddles but since I’ve been riding on a waterproof stretched leather saddle things are better. The leather saddle seems to flex with me (it has a “hammock” feel) instead of rub against me.

Good luck!
    Cheers,
    Logan.

7. On September 20th, 2009 Kristina said:

Comfort saddle. I know you don’t like them but they’re key. They hit the butt of the jeans in enough spots so that there’s not any point of extensive pressure on the fabric. It’s so tragic to see these good jeans die!! Good luck!!

8. On September 21st, 2009 Lovely Bicycle! said:

I just don’t ride in jeans, period – the fabric feels too constraining when I pedal, even if the jeans are loose. Leggings and tights for me.

9. On September 21st, 2009 The Opoponax said:

Hm – well before cycling I always managed to get holes in the crotch and thigh area, usually after about a year of wear. My solution was to have 3 or 4 pairs of jeans in constant rotation and to wear them all equally. Now it doesn’t really happen anymore (or I suppose it eventually will, but after 3 or 4 years instead of one).

How long does it take you to develop these holes? How often are you riding in jeans?

10. On September 21st, 2009 Jim said:

Check out a product called Draggin Jeans. The were created for motorcyclists to save their sorry asses as they are sliding down the road at 60 mph after an unplanned get off. My recollection is that they are reinforced with kevlar fibers for abrasion resistance and I’m pretty sure that they come in womens styles and sizes. Lot cheaper than $200 too!

11. On September 21st, 2009 Elisa M said:

Thanks for the advice and tips everyone.

I only ride in jeans once a week, at most. However, it cuts my jeans life to about 6 months, which is ridiculous to me as I used to wear jeans for years!

I have seen Draggin jeans and am interested in them. Perhaps once employment in on the horizon I can drop the coin to get them (not cheap!).

I think I may use the old jeans to fix new jeans thing as well as get a new saddle. Or at least get my project bike going…it is an old cruiser. More upright seating and a comfort saddle. My saddle now is probably part of the issue.
    Oh and I broke down and bought some stretchy skinny jeans tonight on sale. Will keep everyone updated on their success!

1. Alfresco Pete » Holy Jeans