September 8, 2009

Some lost, others gained

By Anna | 11 Comments »

Strangely, the same day that Elisa lost her job, I gained one.  I’m starting soon at UAB’s School of Optometry working on the Infant Aphakia Treatment Study.  I’m pretty excited about it!

Much of the excitement is because with a new job comes a new bike!  Right now I have road bike frames, which makes it pretty impossible to wear dresses appropriate for work or not get chain grease on my pants.  Also, I’d like to start shopping more by bike, and want something that I can add racks and panniers too.  So I promised myself that if I got this job then I would purchase a cruiser/mixtie.

buenavista_senorita

I’ve been looking around a lot (let’s go ride a bike’s beautiful bikes series has been invaluable!), but I’m pretty sure that I’ve decided on this little beauty…the Soma buena vista mixtie!

I seriously considered the A.N.T. Boston Roadster, but I think I’d rather build this baby up myself.

I haven’t spent anything other than time on this project yet, so if any of you dear readers have other bikes I should consider or anything to say about either of these bikes then let me know.

Bike love to the max!

Comments

1. On September 8th, 2009 ToddBS said:

Funny, I just commented over at EcoVelo about the beautiful lugged-steel Soma Stanyan I just purchased. I love Soma bikes – they have a very classic look to them.

2. On September 8th, 2009 Dottie said:

First, congrats on the new job!

Second, how exciting about the new bike! I was eying that Soma frame pretty hard when I was looking for a new mixte. Can’t wait to hear all about it. Glad to hear we could be of help :)

3. On September 8th, 2009 Jay said:

Interesting about the job! I have considered throwing my transcript to UAB in hopes of getting in that (optometry) school! Would be a complete career change…

4. On September 8th, 2009 Braxton said:

Very good choice, Anna. Very good choice.

5. On September 9th, 2009 anna said:

Congrats for the new job, and even more for the desicion for new bike. That frame is awesome!

6. On September 9th, 2009 Cyclin' Missy said:

Congrats on the job!

That’s such a pretty bike. I love the white with gold accents and the sun on the front. It says bright and happy riding is ahead!

7. On September 9th, 2009 wle said:

mixte

a very attractive and logical frame design

be sure to get or make a skirt guard if you want to wear dresses

and a skirt guard requires fenders too – pretty much anyway

wle

8. On September 9th, 2009 wle said:

now you have to figure out how to say it

it;s either
    ‘meekst’
    or

‘mix-ty’
    In French, “mixte” would be pronounced “MEExt”, but normal US bicycle industry pronunciation is “MIX-ty.”
    Source(s):

wle.

9. On September 9th, 2009 Elisam said:

Oh how I long for a mixte. I have also had my eye on the ANT Boston. This will be fun to help you build!!

10. On September 10th, 2009 Ghost Rider said:

Mmm…Soma Mixte. I like it! In addition to skirt guards, you’ll certainly need a chainguard or chaincase. In those respects, Velo Orange is your friend.

Congratulations on the new job!

11. On September 13th, 2009 CBrinkman said:

I have a Soma BV Mixti built up as a city bike and I love it. Great choice. I ride in skirts and dresses all the time and only have fenders, no skirt guard and it’s not been a problem. It’s a wonderful bike – enjoy!

1. BikeSkirt » Blog Archive » The Buena Vista is mine!