August 16, 2009

Flirty Thirty

Well folks, the Flirty Thirty was a success! We had 15 racers (11 women, 4 men) and everyone had one hell of a time.  Tires were full, beer was flowing and legs were everywhere.  I felt so loved and had a blast.

Winners:

ladies-

1st: tie between Jen and Kate

3rd-Anna!

4th (and best dressed)-me!

best jumping jacks at a stop-Erica

Men-

1st-Edwin

best dressed-Eric

something else that I can’t remember-Edwin

DFL-Rebecca Rae

On a more somber note, our dear Rebecca suffered a terrible fall and is currently in the Neuro ICU at UAB hospital.  She was not wearing a helmet and, according to those who saw her, was not hit by a car, but fell and suffered a major head injury…complete with brain swelling and a seizure.  We are all worried and thinking of her.  Lesson learned: helmets required at all future races.  We wish her the best and will keep you updated on her status. Please, Please wear a helmet folks.  I have been guilty of occasionally riding without one, but that will never happen again.

Despite this setback, the party was a raging success.  Special thanks to Anna for putting this whole thing together and not stressing me with details.  Alan for the awesome race route, Carrie and Jenn for the support and fantastic presents!, Eric and June for wearing panties under their skirts, all of our sponsors and everyone who came to support and love on me.  It was a great way to celebrate this milestone.

We got some seriously good prizes, yall.  Banjo Brothers, Headset clothing, Crestwood Coffee, Recycled Accessories and Green Guru.  Oh and we had some Action Wipes left from our last event, so all the ladies freshened up after the hard ride!

I leave you with photos of the best night I have had in a long time.

Comments

1. On August 16th, 2009 Anna said:

for men, edwin got 1st, christoph got 2nd, eric got best dressed and june got dfl. wooh!
    i had a lot of fun organizing and racing in the madness, and am glad you did too. now on to the halloween race!! this one has to be for Alan : )

2. On August 17th, 2009 ksteinhoff said:

Best wishes for a speedy recovery for your friend.

There’s a good chance I’ve already posted this here before, but the message is important enough to send it again.

My friend, nearly three years later, is still unable to work or ride a bike.

3. On August 17th, 2009 jacob said:

wow. as if we needed a reminder to wear helmets…

never, ever again. butt on seat, helmet on head.

hope she heals quickly.

4. On August 17th, 2009 Fritz said:

Ooh, so sorry about your friend. I hope she recovers quickly!

5. On August 18th, 2009 kit said:

It’s a little unclear because of the multiple Rebeccas… Was the injured Rebecca the one in the race…?

6. On August 18th, 2009 Elisam said:

Yes, Rebecca was racing . :(

7. On August 18th, 2009 Ghost Rider said:

Here’s to a speedy recovery, Rebecca!

8. On August 18th, 2009 Tyler said:

This is fucked up that you would post how great the after party was and when you had a friend that was hospitalized. I can’t believe that you would even think of having a party after such an event. My girlfriend an I had actually plan to drive from Huntsville to participate in this race. I am glad that we did not because the lack of concern you people showed for this girl who was seriously injured and that you called the race a success. You people have lost your fucking minds. To the young woman who was injured I have also sustained a serious head injury in the past because of a bicycle accident and my sympathy goes out to you. I know how tough the recovery will be, but I hope you will be ok and that you will one day ride again.

9. On August 18th, 2009 Elisa M said:

Tyler-
    i appreciate your concern. We thought hard about what to do after we found out about Rebecca’s fall (after the race and during the party). Sending everyone home would not have done any good to Becca and we were in close contact with her brother about her condition. She could not have visitors and we sent our love and concern to her. At the time, we also did not know how serious her condition was…we only knew that she had suffered a fall and was in the ER. We love rebecca dearly and the party was certainly a much more somber event. We were all huddled around cell phones, finding out what was going on and sending our love via her brother and friends who were with her. We cancelled events planned for Sunday after we found out about the severity of her condition.
    It is easy to pass judgement about something when you were not around to experience it.

10. On August 19th, 2009 Joan said:

I agree with Tyler. It was just extremely poor taste to have this post about how WONNNNDERFUL the race was and how much FUN you all had, with a mere paragraph talking about the horrible accident. I read her brother’s post just now and it says that she suffered a seizure when she had her accident; clearly she wasn’t doing well at all from the very beginning of her accident. Good Lord, I want to vomit when I think that you kept on going with events that night. I would have rather you not posted anything about this race; especially pictures of a bunch of smiling people. I don’t think one had to have been there to understand that this was very callous.

11. On August 20th, 2009 Ron said:

no offense, but you guys are usually NOT wearing helmets in the photos you post on this site. it’s not like you’ve encouraged helmets much until now. which is not to say that you shouldn’t now or that you’re wrong to do it now after this sad event. i’m just mentioning it as something to think about.

i wouldn’t go as far as to call you guys names though or callous. if we canceled events where people crashed all the time, there would be no bike events. people do crash all the time in races. that’s why helmets are usually required, and you guys already said that helmets will be required in the future. i mean, i don’t see the point in berating you.

12. On August 20th, 2009 Ron said:

to be clear, i don’t mean like “you dudes blah blah blah! i don’t see the point because you don’t listen!” i mean, seriously, i don’t see what yelling at you guys is going to accomplish. i’m sure you feel bad enough already. we should be wishing becca well and trying to prevent this from happening again, not yelling and blaming.

13. On August 20th, 2009 Anna said:

Thanks everyone for your comments and well wishes. I know it’s a difficult situation, and we haven’t been perfect in the way we presented or dealt with the event. We are not professionals and I hope don’t pretend to be.
    I certainly agree Ron that I do not always wear a helmet. Frequently I ride very short distances and don’t think I need to put it on; sometimes I just don’t feel like it. Rebecca’s accident and the consequences have been just as much as a wake up call for me as for anyone, on so many levels.
    I’m really sorry to have offended anyone and hope that we can all work on being more compassionate and understanding. Thanks for reading.

1. BikeSkirt » Blog Archive » Rebecca Rae Update