July 6, 2009

Hello Beautiful

Meet Freddie Mercury, my new ride. Ever since I lost Mick, then got Betty Paige (who was a mite too small) I have been dreaming of a new ride. Well, about a month-ish ago, I got one.

Isn’t he a beauty? A Bottechia, with Shimano 600 components and a color scheme that stops traffic.

I love everything about this bike. It was hard to get used to the down tube shifting and the higher (lower…harder) gearing, but now I am in love. Freddie is a steel bike, so the vibrations in the road feel miles away. I am steady, safe, secure and fast as hell. Seriously folks, I am a stronger, faster rider now.

click on photos to enlarge for more bike-y beauty

(photos courtesy of T-Photographic. T. Scott needed a model to help with location and lighting scouting, so we packed up bags and took off on our bikes, looking for prime locations. It is amazing how much more you see riding beside a photographer that you would never, ever see just driving in a car.)

check out the awesome shadow situation in this one!

Oh, Betty Paige is happily being ridden by our good friend, Dan. He is taking good care of her and they are quite the pair. Only Dan could make pink bar tape look sexy on a guys bike.

one more note: be on the lookout for a new look here at Bike Skirt! Our friend (and awesome photographer) T.Scott is hard at work on a new layout/look/logo for our little blog. Yay Bike Skirt 2.0!

Comments

1. On July 6th, 2009 inkandpen said:

Gorgeous! You, bike, and photography, all stunning.

2. On July 6th, 2009 Richard said:

Insert catcall here. :)

nice ride.

3. On July 7th, 2009 Dottie said:

Fabulous pictures and new bike! Can't wait to see BikeSkirt 2.0.

4. On July 7th, 2009 Palm Beach Bike tours said:

Funny thing about photographers and non-photographers: non-shooters don't have the same concept of "NOW!"

I was on assignment to ride from Detroit to S FL to check on the availablity of gas for tourists during one of the gas shortages. Since he was FROM Detroit, I figured I'd let him drive so I could jump out of the car when I wanted to shoot a picture.

We hadn't gone 10 miles when I said, "Stop the car. Get out. Give me the keys."

Non-shooters don't understand that when you say, "Stop," you don't mean at the next exit; you don't mean 100 yards from now, you mean NOW. HERE.

And if you don't stop right then and there, you'll never see that picture again. It never has the same magic the next day or from the other side of the road.

5. On July 7th, 2009 wle said:

downtube shifters
    you will come to like them
    simple
    light
    reliable
    cheap to fix if anything goes wrong

also, as far as the higher gearing goes,
    you also recently started using clipless pedals

that will help

it gives you like the equivalent of 2 more low and high gears

really

wle.

6. On July 7th, 2009 RDouglas said:

LOVE that look! He shot the Tria Cycling photos last yera – SUCH an eye!

7. On July 7th, 2009 Cyclin' Missy said:

Sweet bike and great photos! I really like his style. Fun, colorful and sexy. I want him to take pictures of me and my bike!

8. On July 7th, 2009 Philip said:

WOW!!!!!!

9. On July 8th, 2009 dl109er said:

What a SUH-WEET ride!! Definitely a classic. Wishing you and Freddie many happy years together.

And the pics totally rock – esp. the one with the shadow. Very cool

10. On July 8th, 2009 mellowvelo said:

Beauty! And kickin' paint scheme. You compliment each other well.

11. On July 13th, 2009 T. Scott Carlisle said:

Thanks, bikeskirt. Pretty people always take pretty photos.

1. BikeSkirt » Blog Archive » A new member of the family