May 27, 2009

@*$&^#%^!

By Anna | 28 Comments »

I now present for you: Bike Wreck #2!

After a meeting I decided to run to the Jones Valley Urban Farm after work farm stand to get veggies for a stir fry.  I was riding down First Avenue South and turned right onto 24th St.  Right after the turn I see a BROOM STICK IN THE MIDDLE OF THE ROAD.  Before my body caught up with my brain I had run over the stick, my bike wobbled out of control, and I slammed into the ground.  The fall was actually very similar to last time, so similar that the hole in my leg has been unceremoniously ripped open and my chin and shoulder have gotten scraped in exactly the same place.  Alas, this time it looks a lot worse.
(taken by Kevin)
Things to celebrate in the face of adversity:
1. There was not a car right behind me.  Otherwise, I would not be writing this right now.
2. Wes Frazer saw it happen and turned around to save me.  My hero!
3. All the other dudes that were like “Do you need a paramedic?”  ”Someone needs to keep you off that bike”, etc. etc.
4. Good photos
5. An even more killer scar on my leg
Things to hope for:
1. No fucked up teeth
2. Swelling to go down quickly
3. Lots of sympathy (I’ve already gotten some Jack from Dani! Thanks hun!)

(Post Shower, taken by Dani)

Comments

1. On May 27th, 2009 Over the Cubicle Wall said:

Ouch! I looked like that constantly as a kid after wrecking my bike (sometimes on purpose). It always seems so much worse as an adult. Hope it was nothing serious and that it doesn’t hurt as bad as it looks.

2. On May 27th, 2009 Urban Jeff said:

Ouch. Get well soon.

3. On May 27th, 2009 quesnel62 said:

Glad you’re not seriously injured. And at least you have a few new conversation pieces. Speedy recovery!

4. On May 27th, 2009 Elisa M said:

Oh Anna! I am so sorry…this looks worse than you described on the phone.

what can I bring you? I hope David is taking care of you.

Anna=total badass

5. On May 27th, 2009 Reuben said:

oh shit.

6. On May 27th, 2009 paul said:

Ok, seriously…enough. You keep this up, you’re gonna have to change the title from Bike Skirt to Bikes Hurt.

Heal soon! Ride safe!
    Paul
    pacificpedaling.com

7. On May 27th, 2009 She Rides a Bike said:

No good deed (like bike commuting to the farmer’s market) goes unpunished, does it? Quel dommage. Well, at least you have a cute dress to show off your injuries with and you should definitely milk the sympathy for all you can get. Maybe one of those guys will volunteer to clean all the blood off your bike for you. Good luck and keep pedaling.

8. On May 27th, 2009 BronSki said:

Sometimes the body heals quicker second time around in the same spot, when the trauma is within weeks of each event. Here’s hoping it does for you.

chin up!

x Bron

9. On May 27th, 2009 Paula said:

Owww… for you’re sake I’m hoping you heal up and don’t fall again anytime soon. Maybe you should go into a soft grassy area and work on bunny hops, evading things quickly, etc…

10. On May 28th, 2009 Dottie said:

Oh man, that looks painful. So sorry to hear about this. Fucking broomstick. I wish you quick heeling, impressive scar stories, and no fucked up teeth (I just got the last work done for my root canal today).

11. On May 28th, 2009 pinedae said:

*hugs*

12. On May 28th, 2009 Cyclin' Missy said:

Oh, Anna! That stinks! Sorry you got hurt again. I hope the pain eases quickly!

13. On May 28th, 2009 linaria said:

sometimes braking hard before an obstacle actually makes it worse–I’m not sure why, I think it screws up your sense of balance or the velocity at full speed helps you go over easier, somebody better at physics probably knows.

but yeah, bunny hops. sounds like you want to learn them. good luck!

14. On May 28th, 2009 Palm Beach Bike tours said:

That just goes to prove that veggies can kill you.

15. On May 28th, 2009 Justin said:

Digging scars, is no longer just a chick thing.

16. On May 28th, 2009 GhostRider said:

Alright…I’m going to pass around the collection plate for a suit of armor for dear Anna. Who would like to contribute to help keep our friend in one unscabby piece? ;)

17. On May 28th, 2009 David said:

Ouch! Bummer. Get well soon.

18. On May 28th, 2009 Trisha said:

Anna, that sucks! I’m so sorry you’re injured again.

19. On May 28th, 2009 wle said:

yeah
    teeth are expensive to fix

interestingly, a properly worn helmet protects teeth to some degree

if you wear it low on your forehead, it will strike the ground before face/nose/teeth do

wle

20. On May 28th, 2009 Tinker said:

Ow! Re the helmet protecting your teeth: you could just put it over your face and look out through the vent holes. Or maybe not.

Been reading here for couple months and you been getting beat up pretty regularly. Time to consider whether an exorcism might be needed?

At least, a car was not involved, one never comers out well from that sort of encounter. I suppose you could look at it as a sort of tax paid to avoid the stresses caused by motor vehicle commuting, might be worthwhile.

21. On May 28th, 2009 bettymountaingirl said:

Holy ouch! Looks like a rough tumble. I’m totally agreement with you on the teeth sparing part. As long as my teeth are intact I’m good to go.

22. On May 29th, 2009 spiderleggreen said:

Hey, you’re burning up your bad karma. I’m glad it wasn’t worse. My hope for you is that like me, each fall gives you more experience. I used to always fall off my bike. Eventually, I leaned how to fall off bike without injury(much injury). Practice makes perfect. Right now, you are getting lots of practice… and getting rid of that bad karma.

23. On May 29th, 2009 ett said:

Oh mamma mia! It’s terrible, but you look so strong, it makes you more and more real and beautiful

24. On May 30th, 2009 man said:

Damm… hopefully it looks worse than it feels.
    Heal soon and beware of wild broomsticks.
    Damm be careful out there ladies.

25. On May 30th, 2009 welshcyclist said:

Bad luck, I've had a couple of falls in the last 6 months, but it's rare, because I spend my rides concentrating on the ground ahead, looking for glass and suchlike, that all those inconsiderate @"!%$&**^s, constantly litter the road with. But brooms that's a new one one on me. Hope you recover quickly

26. On May 30th, 2009 Doohickie said:

Your rugged good looks just got a little more rugged! (Ummm…. wait, they usually use the phrase “rugged good looks” with guys, don’t they?)

Heal up quick and get back on the bike!

27. On May 30th, 2009 Anna said:

thanks for the love everyone! this week has been hell for other reasons besides a bike wreck, and i appreciate all the good wishes.

28. On June 3rd, 2009 m e l i g r o s a said:

ouchie!!! rest a little and take good care /xoxo